Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programming the Speech Synthesizer
Hi,

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. I've been doing a lot of reading the last couple of days and haven't found specific enough information regarding the capabilities and programming of the speech synthesizer.

My parents have an old TI 99 4/a that I am planning to borrow and hopefully program as part of an art installation. From what I've read, using the attached speech synthesizer and the Extended Basic cartridge will allow me to program basic text for the synthesizer to read. Overall, it sounds fairly limited, but I'm hopeful it might still work for my purposes.

What I'd like to do is input approximately five simple sentences, most of which use the same words in a different order. If possible, I'd like each sentence to appear on the screen as it is being read, then once the computer has finished reading all five, the screen would clear and start over again from the beginning, over and over, on a continuous loop. If I get really lucky, I'd like to play a small sound at the end of the five sentences; something like you'd hear if you died in Hunt the Wumpus. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to continuously loop programmed speech and/or sounds on the TI?
Yes you can repeat in a loop quite easily.  You can use a GOTO to make an infinite loop in BASIC.

See here for speech synthesizer programming info:  https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/Speech

I recall using CALL SAY.
(09-20-2017, 09:03 PM)ollopa Wrote: Yes you can repeat in a loop quite easily.  You can use a GOTO to make an infinite loop in BASIC.

See here for speech synthesizer programming info:  https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/Speech

I recall using CALL SAY.

That's so great! Thank you for replying!
I guess the main thing will be to pick up the TI from my parents' house and try playing with it. I may come back with more questions after I've tried to teach myself as much as I can on my own.